Divorce is a major life-changing event and its inherently emotional nature often results in some costly mistakes. It is crucial to hire an experienced family law attorney to guide you through this process and help you make decisions based on sound legal advice rather than impulse. A decision that may feel good at the moment might end up being detrimental in the long run.
Avoiding Common Divorce Mistakes
During a divorce, spouses often feel angry, betrayed, depressed, or eager. Unfortunately, these feelings will not serve your best interests as you dissolve your marriage. Try to keep a clear head as you move forward and understand which common missteps you ought to avoid.
Here are the top 5 divorce mistakes you should know about:
- Continuing to use social media: Our society has a serious addiction to social media, but if you continue to share your life online, it could backfire on you in court, especially if you share too many details about your divorce or badmouth your spouse.
- Refusing to compromise: You might be on bad terms with your soon-to-be ex-spouse, but turning your divorce into a battle and refusing to cooperate will only do you harm, resulting in higher legal fees and an even bigger headache.
- Attempting to hide marital assets: If you really want to fight for what is yours, put your trust in an experienced attorney rather than trying to hide your assets. Otherwise, you will find yourself in some legal hot water.
- Fighting for assets that have unpleasant tax consequences: Not every asset is worth fighting for. If you are awarded the marital home, for example, you might not be able to afford its mortgage, property taxes, and upkeep on a single person’s income.
- Failing to create a new budget: Creating a budget for your new life as a single person is crucial and it will help you assess which items are worth fighting for in your divorce. Without a budget in place, it is near impossible to anticipate what your needs will be in the future.
Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Divorce Attorney to Discuss Your Case
If you are getting a divorce, you can avoid some of the most common and costly mistakes by hiring an experienced legal advocate to represent your case. At The King Law Firm, our divorce team can provide the knowledgeable legal guidance and advice you need during this trying time.
Reach out to our law office today at (914) 752-5333 to set up a consultation.